Toy haulers are a type of recreational vehicle (RV) that is designed to haul large items such as ATVs, motorcycles, and other toys. These vehicles combine the comfort of an RV with the utility of a trailer, making them popular among outdoor enthusiasts. In this article, we will discuss the different types of toy haulers, their advantages and disadvantages, and why you might want to consider one for your next outdoor adventure.
Table of Contents
- 1 What Is A Toy Hauler?
- 2 Types of Toy Haulers
- 3 Toy Hauler Video
- 4 Advantages of a Toy Hauler
- 5 Disadvantages of a Toy Hauler
- 6 Things to Consider When Choosing a Toy Hauler
- 7 How to Properly Load and Unload Your Toys
- 8 Top Toy Hauler Brands
- 9 Renting a Toy Hauler
- 10 Conclusion
What Is A Toy Hauler?
A toy hauler is a type of RV that is designed to carry “toys” such as motorcycles, ATVs, and other outdoor equipment. Toy haulers are unique in that they have a built-in garage area where you can store your toys during transport. The garage area can usually be accessed from the outside through a large ramp door or from the inside through a smaller door.
Toy haulers come in three main types: fifth wheel, travel trailer, and motorhome. Fifth wheel toy haulers are the largest and most spacious of the three types. They are designed to be towed by a heavy-duty pickup truck and feature a raised front section that fits over the bed of the truck. Travel trailer toy haulers are similar in design to fifth wheel toy haulers but are designed to be towed by a standard pickup truck. Motorhome toy haulers are built on a motorhome chassis and have a garage in the rear that can be used to store your toys.
In addition to the garage area, toy haulers also feature living quarters that typically include a kitchen, bathroom, and sleeping area. Some toy haulers also have additional features such as outdoor kitchens, entertainment systems, and slide-out sections that can increase the living space.
Overall, toy haulers offer a unique way to combine your love of outdoor adventure with the comforts of home. Whether you’re a motocross enthusiast, an ATV rider, or just someone who wants to bring along some outdoor equipment, a toy hauler can provide you with the convenience and versatility you need to enjoy your travels to the fullest.
Types of Toy Haulers
When it comes to toy haulers, there are several different types to choose from depending on your needs and preferences. Each type offers unique features and benefits that can enhance your RVing experience. In this section, we’ll take a closer look at the four main types of toy haulers: travel trailers, fifth wheels, and motorhomes. We’ll explore the pros and cons of each type, and provide examples of popular models and brands to help you make an informed decision when selecting a toy hauler that’s right for you.
There are three main types of toy haulers: fifth wheel, travel trailer, and motorhome. Each type has its own unique features and benefits.
Fifth Wheel Toy Haulers
Fifth wheel toy haulers are designed to be towed by a pickup truck with a fifth-wheel hitch. These RVs have a raised section in the rear that serves as a garage for your toys. The living quarters are located above the garage, and they usually feature a full kitchen, bathroom, and sleeping quarters. Fifth wheel toy haulers are the most spacious of the three types, making them a great option for families or groups.
Travel Trailer Toy Haulers
Travel trailer toy haulers are similar to fifth wheel toy haulers, but they are designed to be towed by a regular hitch on the back of a truck or SUV. These RVs have a garage in the rear that can be used to store your toys, and the living quarters are located in the front. Travel trailer toy haulers are more maneuverable than fifth wheel toy haulers, making them a good option for those who want to travel to more remote locations.
Motorhome Toy Haulers
Motorhome toy haulers are the most expensive and luxurious of the three types. They are built on a motorhome chassis and have a garage in the rear that can be used to store your toys. The living quarters are located in the front, and they often feature high-end amenities like granite countertops, leather furniture, air conditioners, and multiple RV TVs. Motorhome toy haulers are the most convenient option for those who want to travel in style and comfort.
Toy Hauler Video
Advantages of a Toy Hauler
There are several advantages to owning a toy hauler:
- Versatility: Toy haulers are versatile vehicles that can be used for a variety of purposes. You can use them to transport your toys to your favorite outdoor destinations, or you can use them as a comfortable and convenient way to camp.
- Convenience: With a toy hauler, you don’t have to worry about packing and unpacking your toys every time you want to go camping. You can simply load them up in the garage and head out on your adventure.
- Comfort: Toy haulers offer all the comforts of home, including a full kitchen, bathroom, and sleeping quarters. You can enjoy your favorite activities during the day and relax in comfort at night.
- Space: Toy haulers offer plenty of space for you and your family or friends to spread out and enjoy your vacation. The garage can be used for storage or as an additional living space.
Disadvantages of a Toy Hauler
While there are many advantages to owning a toy hauler, there are also some disadvantages to consider:
- Cost: Toy haulers can be expensive, especially if you opt for a motorhome model. You’ll need to weigh the cost against the benefits to determine if it’s worth the investment.
- Size: Toy haulers are large vehicles that can be difficult to maneuver in tight spaces. You’ll need to be comfortable driving a large vehicle if you plan to own a toy hauler.
- Weight: Toy haulers can be heavy, which can affect your gas mileage and make them more difficult to tow. You’ll need to ensure that your vehicle is capable of towing the weight of your toys and the weight of the toy hauler.
Things to Consider When Choosing a Toy Hauler
When choosing a toy hauler, there are several important factors to consider. First and foremost, you’ll want to think about the size and weight of the unit. Make sure that your tow vehicle is rated to handle the weight of the toy hauler you’re considering, and that you have enough space to maneuver the unit both on the road and at your destination.
You’ll also want to consider the layout and features of the toy hauler. Think about how many people will be traveling with you, and what your specific needs are when it comes to things like sleeping arrangements, kitchen facilities, and storage space. Look for a toy hauler with a layout that fits your lifestyle, and make sure that it has all the amenities you need to be comfortable on the road.
Finally, consider your budget when choosing a toy hauler. Prices can vary widely depending on the size and features of the unit, so it’s important to determine what you can afford before you start shopping. Keep in mind that the initial cost of the toy hauler is just one factor to consider; you’ll also need to factor in ongoing expenses like maintenance, fuel, and campground fees.
How to Properly Load and Unload Your Toys
Properly loading and unloading your toys into your toy hauler is crucial for both safety and convenience. Here are some tips for doing it right:
- Make sure that your toys are securely tied down before you hit the road. Use heavy-duty straps and tie-downs to secure your toys to the floor of the garage area, and make sure that they are evenly distributed for optimal weight distribution.
- Always load your heaviest toys first. This will help to evenly distribute the weight of the toys and prevent the toy hauler from becoming top-heavy.
- Use a spotter to guide you as you load and unload your toys. This will help to prevent accidents and ensure that you don’t damage your toys or the toy hauler.
- When unloading your toys, be sure to remove any straps or tie-downs before driving them out of the garage area. Check that the area is clear of any obstacles before backing your toys out of the garage.
By following these tips, you can ensure that your toys are loaded and unloaded safely and efficiently every time.
Top Toy Hauler Brands
If you’re in the market for a toy hauler, you want to make sure you’re getting a quality RV from a trusted manufacturer. With so many brands to choose from, it can be overwhelming to figure out which ones are worth considering.
In this section, we’ll highlight some of the top toy hauler brands in the industry. We’ll discuss what sets these brands apart from others, and provide information on their reputations for quality, innovation, and customer service. Whether you’re a first-time buyer or a seasoned RVer, this section will give you a better understanding of the most respected and reliable brands in the toy hauler market.
There are several top toy hauler brands on the market today. Here are a few of the most popular and well-regarded:
- Jayco: Jayco offers a wide range of toy haulers in both fifth wheel and travel trailer configurations. Their units are known for their quality construction and attention to detail.
- Forest River: Forest River is another popular brand that offers a variety of toy haulers in different sizes and configurations. They are known for their innovative features and stylish designs.
- Heartland RV: Heartland RV is a well-regarded manufacturer that specializes in fifth wheel and travel trailer toy haulers. Their units are known for their spacious interiors and high-end amenities.
Other top toy hauler brands include Keystone RV, Grand Design RV, and Dutchmen RV. When shopping for a toy hauler, be sure to research the different brands and models available to find the one that best suits your needs and preferences.
Renting a Toy Hauler
If you’re not ready to commit to purchasing a toy hauler, renting one can be a great option. Renting a toy hauler allows you to try out different models and configurations without having to make a long-term investment. It can also be a good option if you only plan to use a toy hauler for occasional trips.
To find a rental toy hauler in your area, start by checking with local RV dealerships and rental companies. Many of these businesses offer toy haulers for rent, and they can help you find the right unit for your needs. You can also search online for rental options in your area.
When renting a toy hauler, be sure to ask about any restrictions or requirements that may apply. For example, some rental companies may require a minimum rental period or a specific type of tow vehicle. Make sure that you understand all of the terms and conditions before signing a rental agreement.
Toy haulers offer a unique way to combine your love of outdoor adventure with the comforts of home. Whether you opt for a fifth wheel, travel trailer, or motorhome toy hauler, you’ll enjoy the convenience and versatility that these vehicles offer. However, it’s important to consider the advantages and disadvantages before making a decision. If you’re looking for a way to travel in comfort and style while still being able to bring your favorite toys along for the ride, a toy hauler might be the perfect choice for you.
A toy hauler can be a great way to travel with your favorite toys, whether you’re into dirt bikes, ATVs, or kayaks. By choosing the right toy hauler for your needs and taking proper care of your toys and your unit, you can enjoy many years of fun and adventure on the road. Just remember to do your research, choose a reputable brand, and always put safety first.